October 15 is the deadline to apply for the Rayko Photo Center’s Artists in Residence program in the San Francisco Bay areal. Details here on the event websites.
The Artist-in-Residence program
Our Residence Program was developed to continue our support and education of photographers working and living in the Bay Area. Through the program, photographers will receive a $1250 credit and one free class, or $1500 credit and no class, to use however they choose at RayKo’s professional photographic center. The program will begin at the start of each workshop semester, so every opportunity is utilized to learn through the classes & workshops, and be mentored by artists.
The timeframe for the development of artwork, printing, and mentoring process is three months. Artists will gain hands on experience in the entire process of creating work, from conceptualizing, printing, framing, and hanging. Work produced in the program, will culminate in a show in our side gallery. Up to three final prints of the gallery’s choice will be donated to RayKo’s print collection.
Artists will check in with the Gallery Director for review and feedback sessions. Staff mentoring is also available to assist in the artistic development of residents. Artists and mentors will be matched on a case-by-case basis based on availability of mentors, and focus of the artists work.
Who is eligible
Bay area based artists working in the medium of photography, traditional, digital, or both. Individuals and groups are welcome to apply, however credit limits are as stated above, regardless of individual or group use. The following counties are considered to be in the Bay Area, San Francisco, Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano, and Sonoma.
Submission deadlines | Notice of acceptance | Start dates
Ongoing submissions are accepted, and there will be three residents per year.
October 15 – submission deadline | November 7 – Notification | Jan 2 – start date
January 3 – submission deadline | February 1 – Notification | April 1 – start date
How to Apply
A comprehensive description of the project including an estimated timeframe of completion, classes & workshops of interest, goal of final works that will be produced, and a budget breakdown of how the credit will be used at RayKo must be included. Biographies, CVs, and resumes must be submitted for each artist, for individual or group applications. If the project has not already begin, please submit sample pieces, even if they are on a small scale, as part of your Image Submissions. Please refer to the Quick Checklist for Artist-in-Residence program for page limitations and criteria for image submissions.
Artists will be notified 2-months prior to the beginning of the program, and will have access to the facility during our regular open hours.
Quick checklist for program application
• Description & budget of project | 1-page limit
• Bio of artist(s) or group | 2-page limit
• CV of artist(s) or group | 2-page limit
• Resume of artist(s) or group | 2-page limit
• Group Entries: contact information of Lead Artist
• Submit printed copies of the materials above, with Artist name on each page
• $20 submission & administration fee | Payable to: RayKo Photo Center
• SASE for return of materials, if proper postage, packaging materials, or return information are not included, they will not be returned.
• No email submissions
• Submissions that do not meet the above requirements will not be reviewed
Portfolio or Image submissions (8 image minimum & 20 image maximum)
• Slides: sleeved, up to 20
• Jpegs: On CD or DVD | no larger than 5×7” at 72dpi | up to 20 images | image title: “rayko_residency_Last name_firstname_image#”
• Prints: up to 8×10” size | up to 20 individual prints
• Include annotated list of: Image title, size of original piece, year of completion, and medium
• While we will do our best to return materials submitted, we cannot be held responsible for damaged or lost works. To ensure safe material return enclose proper return materials, and arrange for delivery signature to and from our center. Materials shipped without return postage or return addresses will not be kept longer than 30-days.
RayKo Photo Center c/o Artist-in-Residence Program
428 Third Street
San Francisco, CA 94107
We will accept walk-in drop offs, but will not have the opportunity to review work at the time or meet with artists who are dropping off work. Please no phone calls.
residence (at) raykophoto (dot) com